As part of our ongoing mission to put together the formula for achieving a top MCAT score, we understand that it is important to not only focus on the content and the practice questions but also to have that growth mindset to keep moving forward. In today's episode, Monika and Ariana talk about the common issues students are struggling with, what grit part and how each characteristic applies to the MCAT prep.
Can't wait to share this with you and help you become an MCAT top scorer!
Challenges That Come With The MCAT
- Financial strain
- How can you push through these?
How To Overcome Issues By Instilling Grit/Perseverance
What is Grit?
- Passion + Perseverance
- Grit is pretty much the ability to push through a difficult experience
- Requires a growth mindset
Characteristics of Grit:
- The MCAT requires devotion and commitment- you have to be prepared for that
- You’re going to get a LOT of questions wrong in order to learn something-- that’s part of the journey
- View the MCAT as an opportunity rather than exclusively as a challenge
- This exam may feel like it is the end-all be-all, but it isn’t!!
Mental Toughness & Belief
- Remember how much work you’ve put in
- Separate yourself from anxious thoughts
- Positive self-talk!
Asking for Support When You Need It
- You don’t have to do this alone
- Family members
- Social life, in general-- it doesn’t have to fall the wayside
- Know what you’re there to accomplish- get in touch with the passion piece
Connect to the MCAT
- This exam requires a lot of failure, which can be discouraging, but those who succeed take it in stride (grit)
- Expect that the journey will not be extremely easy, it can be really tough at times, but determination and perseverance will get you through
- The point of the MCAT is partially to determine if students have the grit that is required for the medical profession!
Subscribe and Review
If you enjoy the podcast, would you please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts/iTunes? It takes less than 60 seconds, and it really makes a difference in helping convince more top MCAT scorers to come on the show. We also love reading the reviews!
Join over 11,000 premeds in the MCAT Mastery Community learning how to improve their scores for free at https://mcatmastery.net/freecourse
Learn more about each mentor on the MCAT Mastery Team here.
Work with an MCAT Mastery Mentor: https://mcatmastery.net/mcat-tutors